Thursday, February 11, 2016

Kristi Treichler: The fifth year student

Waking up at 3:30 a.m., Kristi Treichler prepares for her 19-hour day. The smell of coffee wakes her up as she prepares for her 4:30 a.m. shift at Starbucks. 

Her dog Lola watches as she walks out the door.  Treichler is picked up by a familiar face, a co-worker, sparing her the dark early morning walk to work. 


Like most college students, Treichler is met with stress and sleep deprivation. The long day ahead of her does not alter her angelic personality.   



“I’m only taking 13 or 14 credits a term,” Treichler said.


Study the night away
Treichler graduated Corvallis High School in June 2015. Her post high school plan was to attend Linn-Benton Community College. 

Taking advantage of the fifth-year program, Treichler began her studies the following fall at LBCC.


“Before I was in the fifth-year program, I was in running start [in high school], which they’re actually the same thing. The school district helps you, well completely, pays for tuition and textbooks,” said Treichler. “It’s really helping me have a full year to figure out what I want to do.”  


“I see Kristi working as a nurse in 10 years,” said Randi Cook, a co-worker of Treichler’s.

Treichler is currently on a path towards becoming a medical assistant. Her future, however, is not set in stone. With interests in business and communication, her doors are still open.

“I’m taking some computer classes, and that’s nothing like I’ve taken before, like I always just take reading, writing, and math," Treichler said. "It also made me realize other strengths I didn't know I had. I can type really fast!"


Rambunctious Resume 

“It’s honestly my favorite job that I’ve had,” said Treichler. 
Treichler's job at Starbucks began about a year and two months ago.  Beginning as a caretaker, Treichler worked in a variety of jobs from a Chinese restaurant, to KFC. She even has experience working in the theatre department at Corvallis High School. 


“She is really driven,” said Shelby Weiland, a close friend of Treichler’s. “She does what she needs to do, whether she really wants to or not."
“I believe Kristi’s strongest quality is her compassion. She cares so much for everyone she meets,” said Cook.   

"If Kristi wasn’t in my life, I wouldn’t take on things that make me so uncomfortable,” said Weiland. “I wouldn’t have done the fifth year program if she wasn’t in it also.” 
 
After taking some time off, Treichler has managed to fit in both work and school, a struggle most students are facing today. Working about a 20-hour week shift, she's learned her body's need for rest. 


Outside of school and work, Treichler enjoys the simplest parts of life. 


"I love watching Netflix," said Treichler. Her passions include baking and relaxing.  Her dog Lola comforts her as she takes advantage of any day off. 


The Future Ahead


Once Treichler's morning shift ends at 10 a.m., she prepares for class right after. 

With work and grades constantly on her mind, her driven personality paves the way for a bright future.  


“Stay dedicated because the fifth-year program is an amazing opportunity. It is saving you so much money, and it is such a good introduction to college,” said Treichler.  "I've gotten stronger as a person."
At a Glance
  • Name: Kristi Nicole Treichler
  • Age: 19
  • Education: Corvallis High School, Linn Benton Community College
  • Job History: Stated off as a caretaker, then moved on to a Chinese restaurant, KFC, Corvallis High School and now Starbucks. 
  • Goals: Work in a health field, either as a medical assistant or in a office type environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment